MENEMEN: SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH TOMATOES, ONIONS, PEPPERS & FETA | QUICK, EASY & DELICIOUS

If you missed my last post, I've been cooped up in a hotel room for the past month; I'm soo homesick! Not having a kitchen makes staying at a hotel 10x worse than it already is. We've been eating out for the past month and it's so unhealthy and gross! I'm all for cooking at home! Since home cooking is not an option right now, thank GOD for Whole Foods! I can pick up a fresh green juice and I even started making delicious fresh salads in my hotel room! I'll share the quick and easy salad recipe later. 


I miss having breakfast the most and I can say Turkish breakfasts are the best! Normally my husband and I love going all out for breakfast during the weekend and one of our favorite things to eat is Menemen, which is scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes and peppers. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Menemen is delicious and very easy to make! Matter of fact it's soo easy my husband can even make it and he can't even cook! Since I can't make it till I'm back home in my kitchen, I would like everyone to enjoy this for me over the weekend!




MENEMEN
Serves: 2 
Total time: 20 minutes


3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly or minced
3/4 cup finely diced sweet green long/bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh ripe peeled tomatoes 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika (optional)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional


INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat olive oil in a pan and continue by adding the onions and garlic cloves, stirring occasionally, cook for about 4-5 minutes. Then add diced sweet and/or hot peppers, chopped ripe tomatoes and spices. Turn the heat up to medium-high, cover and cook until the mixture begins to thicken, for about 5-8 minutes.

2. Turn down the heat, take the lid off. Crack the eggs into a bowl, stir with a fork to break them up and add to pan. Lightly stir in with a spatula while the heat from the mixture cooks the eggs slowly, for about 2 minutes.

3. Turn off the heat. Add the crumbled feta cheese, give it another stir, cover and let the cheese soften for a minute. 
4. Sprinkle with chopped fresh chives if you would like to add a little garnish.

5. The result is a light, juicy version of scrambled eggs and vegetables that's great for dipping bread. Bon Appétit!



TIPS
  • If you love butter, you can substitute all or half of the olive oil with butter.
  • I like to experiment with different kinds of peppers, both hot and sweet. 
  • Make sure your tomatoes are good quality and nicely ripened.If good tomatoes are out of season, you can substitute canned diced tomatoes. 
  • When you serve menemen, make sure you have slices of crusty bread for dipping in the buttery juice.

1 comment

  1. That. Looks. SO. Good.

    http://thoughtsintiffanyblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete